Wednesday, 3 February 2016

KCACO-CAL Part 2

Hot-Butter Popcorn Block


I crocheted the main body of these blocks in a very bright  variegated pink yarn and worked the popcorns in the same dark red  as I used  in Part 1 for the final round of the granny squares. Personally, I would have preferred to work a multiple of 3 rows of popcorns as I think odd numbers tend to work better visually, but that’s probably just the latent gardener in me coming out.




They look OK with the squares from Part 1 as the red of the popcorns gives a bit of continuity between them.  I think this will be important later in the project when I’m picking from evermore random balls of yarn!

I didn’t follow the pattern entirely as written and  reversed the order of the rows to so that it made more sense to me. I also noticed that (despite the stitch count being correct) the original pattern actually increases one stitch at the beginning of the row and decreases one stitch at the end of the row. This gives a bit of a messy edge and actually makes it harder to get the popcorns in a straight line.

 I use a different method of working the beginning and ends of rows which gives the right  height to the stitches, avoids the ‘holes ’which are sometimes created by long stitches at the beginning of rows and  which also helps line up the popcorns in a straight line while giving a completely straight edge. I’ve written up how I do this in case anyone would find this helpful.

ch.3
Yarn over,
Insert hook into the same stitch as the beginning ch 3 and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook)
Yarn over; pull through 2 loops on hook
Yarn over,
Insert hook into the next stitch and pull up a loop (4 loops on hook)
Yarn over; pull through 2 loops on hook
Yarn over,
 Pull through remaining 3 loops
Work pattern until the end of the row -
Make sure to work into the very last stitch (which is created by the beginning chain 3 stitches from the previous row) otherwise your stitch count will be wrong and your edge will be wonky. 

I hope this helps! X

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had known this before I did mine as I decided holes would b preferable to a wonky edge lol I will try this next time though!☺

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you all x